GIRLS’ POWER INITIATIVE (GPI), NIGERIA
Girls’ Power Initiative (GPI) is not-for-profit, non-sectarian, non-governmental organization. GPI was founded in 1993 but effectively started the execution of regular comprehensive sexuality education programs and other related and relevant activities in 1994. GPI is registered organization with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC No. 10290, 1997). At the core of GPI programme is regular educational sessions on Adolescent Sexuality, Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights, Leadership and other Gender Sensitive Life Management skills from a gender and human rights perspective particularly with in and out of school adolescents girls aged 10 – 18years in 4(four) states (Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Delta and Edo States)
GPI’s focus is to assist young girls live healthy lives and achieve their full potentials, towards an empowered womanhood. It is also includes assisting young girls to overcome the risk of early sexual activities, gender discrimination, harmful traditional and Contemporary social practices, adolescent/unintended pregnancies, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) including HIV/AIDS, unsafe abortion, all forms of sexual abuse and harassment as well as other forms of violence against girls and women and exploitation.
To empower children and young females with accurate information and skills from a gender perspective for social action
A sustainable feminist institution leading transformation of patriarchal values in Nigeria
- Team work – We are committed to harnessing internal and external resources and expertise and capacity for better outcomes of our interventions in achieving our mission
- Passion – We bring and channel our feelings, emotion and zeal to the work that we do knowing that we are dealing with issues and expecting changes on issues that affect the psyche of our target audience
- Upholding Feminist Ideology– We being to our work knowledge, attitude, behavior and practicesthat reflect and promote equality and social justice
- Equal opportunities for all – We are committed to practices and interventions that are non discriminatory and promote the social development of girls and young females regardless of residence, social and economic background.
- Integrity – We are committed to demonstrating high level of honesty, accountability, truthfulness, honour, reliability, uprightness through consistency of actions and operations. We will let our words be our bound under any circumstance.